The purpose of this blog is to keep family and friends updated with the most recent news on Matthew. It will also document his biggest trial to date and serve as a reminder of how many people love and support him, and how much the Lord loves him when he has beat this terrible disease.

Friday, September 28, 2012

Fight Cancer Like a Tiger

Thursday, September 27

There are no words to describe the volleyball game tonight, but I'll try to find some. It was powerful. When we got there, T-shirts and bracelets were being sold at this table right before entering the gym. Kim Webb ordered the shirts, and they were perfect. She had ordered 350, and they were all sold out before the varsity game even got started. I think she is ordering more though because there are still a bunch of people who want some.


These signs were all over the gym:





There were tons of people walking around the gym with Matthew's T-shirts on. Tons of kids I have never even seen before were wearing Matthew's name on their chests. The ENTIRE girl's varsity team was wearing them too. So cool. 



There were so many people in the stands supporting Matthew. By the time the varsity game was started it was a full house! I couldn't even believe how packed it was. 

I went outside of the gym to talk to the women at the donation table, and as soon as I got there the Taylor family walked in, and all of the little kids had a small handful of coins that they put into the donation jug. It was so adorable watching them and I was very touched. It's sweet to see how kids want to help other kids with cancer. I was doing fine all night, but I lost control of my emotions when I was talking to Mrs. Taylor about Matthew and how great the event was. I couldn't stand by that table anymore because I would have just cried through the entire night. People who didn't even know Matthew or our family were making donations and trying to help. It was very emotional for me (in a good way) to see everyone pulling together for my little brother.

Taylor family and their sweet kids:

Gilbert's mascot came to see Matthew during the JV game:

So did Coach Tana:


Before the varsity game, Coach Grover spoke about Matthew and the cancer he is battling. He did great, however there is a popular rumor that Matthew has stage 4 bone cancer. His cancer is actually called germ cell tumor cancer, but no matter what it's called it's hard to deal with. After giving a brief overview about what T is going through, he asked anyone in attendance who has or has ever had cancer to stand up. There was at least a dozen people who stood and then everyone clapped for them. I got chills because of the feeling in the room as we were all clapping. I can't really explain it, but it was like a mix of respect and pride and love for those people for fighting and overcoming their own battles with cancer. Grover then asked those who have a family member that has ever had cancer to stand up. Almost the entire gym stood, and once again everyone clapped. He then asked those who have a friend that has ever had cancer to stand up. Every single person was standing then, and more clapping. The entire gym was emotional. Grover was tearing up with people in the audience, coaches, girls on the teams, boys in the goon section. I think the reason why that was so powerful is because it was a visual presentation telling us that we are not alone. There are a lot of people who have experienced struggles similar to ours, and there are even more people rooting for those with cancer to fight and overcome. Matthew has so many people behind him, and I think his cancer is bringing the community together. The volleyball game tonight proved that. Grover closed with a quote from Dr. Seuss:

“I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I’ve bought a big bat. I’m all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!”

What a perfect quote for Matthew! I think that is the kind of the attitude that he is trying to have about this, and that last line is totally something he would say. I think this idea of him fighting his cancer back with a bat will be a good thing for him to visualize if his health worsens. My mom also told him to think about tonight and how many people are supporting him if he gets worse.

When the Xavier team heard about what a member of Gilbert High's volleyball team was going through they wanted to do something. Before the varsity game, their team presented T with a volleyball signed by all of their players. That was so thoughtful of them and I could tell that it meant a lot to him. As soon as he got home he put it on his headboard with his volleyball collection. It fits into his room decor perfectly.




 Xavier and T:

Gilbert and T:

Team Matthew:

Coach Grover and Coach Hess:

Jessica and T:

Aunt Julie and cousins:

Family shot:
Family shot revised (please don't make fun of my very amateur photo shop skills, I know they're terrible):

I am so glad that Matthew was able to go to the game to see how many people care about him, but everything has its cost. When we got home his back started really hurting him and he had a fever. My mom called the doctor and told him about the fever, and he said that Matthew has to go to the hospital asap. So my dad took him back to Phoenix Children's Hospital. I think they got there around midnight. I guess everything tonight was too much and just took a physical toll on his body. He doesn't regret going to the game, even though he had to go back to the hospital. My dad texted us around 1AM and said that they have brought his fever down a little and he is feeling better. I don't know how long they will keep him there or what exactly they need to do to get him back home, but I will know more in the morning and post about it as soon as I find out.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Matthew we are pulling for you. You need anything let us know. You are in our prayers! Urban Legends Pizza!

    ReplyDelete