The purpose of this blog is to keep family and friends updated with the most recent news on Matthew. It will also document his biggest trial to date and serve as a reminder of how many people love and support him, and how much the Lord loves him when he has beat this terrible disease.

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Rosie

Matthew has slowly started coming around since yesterday. His labs are looking good, and the medicine meant to reduce his spinal fluid is working. He now moves his hands a little, and will squeeze if you ask him to. He's flinching when something hurts, and today he tried talking, but could only make a soft gurgle sound. When the nurses put a swab in his mouth to care for the sores he gagged over it, which was good! He has opened his eyes a few times today, but only a tiny bit. One time he opened his eyes a little, so I went over there and said that I put make up on for him today and asked if I was a sight for sore eyes. That got him to kind of smile. That's the most I've seen his face move since this whole thing started. I can tell that he is trying to wake up, but he is still very drugged up, so it's hard for him. Every time he seems to be waking, the nurses give him something that makes him fall asleep again. However, they are slowly reducing his med and fluid intake. It's going to take time, but we are moving in a very good direction. He is no longer considered to be critical, and we can finally relax a little.

His last day of this chemo is tonight, and tomorrow he will get another spinal tap with more chemo to make sure the cancer doesn't get back in there. They are also going to try and drain some fluid from his spine tomorrow during his spinal tap. Monday will be his last tap with chemo. I hope these past weeks will be his hardest ones. I can't see us being able to deal with much worse. Today though, we're happy.

Updated picture of T:

**Fun fact: Phoenix Children's hospital only has four dialysis machines, and they usually always have three in use. If they run out then they will have more machines sent from other hospitals. All of the nurses call the machine "Rosie" because it kind of looks like the robot from The Jetsons.

I can see the resemblance:



















1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenelle,

    So glad you posted an update. I have been checking all day. Let Matthew know I am thinking about him ALL the time!! As well as the rest of his nurses and doctors in the East Valley clinic. Please give him a hug for me. I am hoping to get over my chest cold soon so that I can come see him. But I know right now he can in no way be exposed to anything that could give him an infection. Love your family and praying, praying for Matthew to continue to make improvements. Please give your mom an extra special hug from me too. :) Love, Nurse Michelle

    ReplyDelete