The purpose of this blog is to keep family and friends updated with the most recent news on Matthew. It will also document his biggest trial to date and serve as a reminder of how many people love and support him, and how much the Lord loves him when he has beat this terrible disease.

Monday, May 6, 2013

Coma Kid

Today Matthew's eyes are still open! Well, kind of. He's medically sedated because he is in a very bad mood. When all of the nurses and doctors were in the hall talking about his needs, T's eyes shot wide open and he went to rip out his breathing tube. He's really mad that he has tubes down his throat. His brain activity on the EKG machine is reading lower than normal, but that is because his spinal fluid has regenerated. I guess that fluid regenerates quickly, so he is on meds to slow it down. He has his last spinal tap today with chemo, and they will drain more fluid when they do that. Today they have turned his breathing machine to a different mode, so he's breathing completely on his own. All the machine is doing is providing pressure support so his lungs don't collapse. They're turning the pressure support down too though. They're hoping to pull his tube out tonight, but if not then definitely tomorrow. His dialysis and pick lines are still coming back negative of yeast infection, which is good. They're going to continue running tests on those lines for 48 hours to make sure no infection starts growing.

I'm at the hospital right now, and when I got here Matthew opened his eyes for me a little. I had to coax him to open them because he is so out of it, but he opened them. I stood by him and told him about things that happened during the week both at home and in the hospital, but it wasn't until I started telling him that he's missed a few Office episodes that he opened his eyes wider. I told him that he's missed a lot, and that when he wakes up he can watch them on my computer because I have Hulu Plus. As I told him that his blood pressure went up as well, so the nurse came in wondering what I was talking to him about because she was watching his levels on the computer right outside his room. Oh Matthew...you're still the same, even when you're barely with us.

Last week, the doctors considered T to be in a comatose state. That's crazy to think that he was in a coma, but now that he's waking up and everything is looking good, I think it was a blessing that he had checked out for the week. I can't wait until he fully wakes and is able to talk though because I have a ton of questions to ask him about what he remembers and the thoughts he was having when he was out.

4 comments:

  1. Jenelle, I love your updates. I look for them whenever I go online. And I pray for T and for your family each time. Thanks for sharing your world/heart with us! <3

    delynne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for continuing to keep all of us informed. I am sure that can't always be easy. You know you are all loved and prayed for.
    XO
    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update Jenelle. I am glad that Matthew is giving you all reassurance that he is still "himself". Even after the incredibly tough week he just went through. Totally the Matthew I know too. I always tell your mom he is the bravest and toughest kid I know. He continues to inspire me each day. Love you Matthew!! Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY for good news!!! We'll be praying things keep going in the right direction and that he gets that stinkin' tube out soon. That's gotta bug so bad...what a trooper!
    -Juliet

    ReplyDelete