The purpose of this blog is to keep family and friends updated with the most recent news on Matthew. It will also document his biggest trial to date and serve as a reminder of how many people love and support him, and how much the Lord loves him when he has beat this terrible disease.

Sunday, April 28, 2013

We're Not Out of the Woods Quite Yet

Tomorrow Matthew has to go down to the ICU because his condition isn't improving very quickly. This morning at 3AM, he went down to get a CT scan on his kidneys. His kidneys are really sick, but not failing. He has to get dialysis now to help them, but he won't have to get it forever. The doctors are certain that they'll be able to get his kidneys to recover by 85-95%. Tomorrow he has to go in for another surgery to get another spinal tap. They want to put chemo in there because they did find cancer there. His lungs have fluid in them, so he is breathing with a tube. He won't be allowed to leave the ICU until the doctor's are sure he is able to breath on his own. He's still unconscious and in pain, but he can hear everything that is going on. My mom says that when she or my dad talk to him, he grunts quietly. He will be getting a feeding tube down his nose because he hasn't eaten since Wednesday night. I know that will make him mad because that is the one thing that he absolutely did not want to experience, but he can't live without it. I know he'll understand that so I hope he will get over the fact that he is getting it put in. This has been probably the hardest week since all of this started. There have been a lot of tears and heartache, but he is going to live.
I was thinking about it, and I think that it is kind of a blessing that he is so incoherent. It's scary that he isn't talking or anything, but I don't think he will be able to remember any of these events when he comes to. I also think that because he is so out of it, this time will pass quickly for him. I find comfort in that. It makes watching him suffer through this not so bad. I just wish I could sleep through it too sometimes. I've probably experienced more emotions this past week than I have in a lifetime.
I'll continue to keep you all posted. Thank you for your support.

3 comments:

  1. We are ALL praying our hearts out for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenelle you are a beautiful writer... I cherish your updates. I met Matthew once through his Friend, Heather at a girls volleyball tournament. My heart is heavy for you and your family as T struggles thorough this season, but know that I am inspired by him and pray for him and your family. Please continue the updates, as this is the only way I know how he is doing.
    By His stripes we are healed.
    Much love!
    delynne bock

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking about Matthew and you guys all day. I believe in miracles and know that God can do ANYTHING. We'll keep praying for a miracle and that Matthew and you all can feel peace through this. He's a special guy and loved by lots of wonderful people.
    -Juliet

    ReplyDelete