The purpose of this blog is to keep family and friends updated with the most recent news on Matthew. It will also document his biggest trial to date and serve as a reminder of how many people love and support him, and how much the Lord loves him when he has beat this terrible disease.

Monday, January 28, 2013

Hey Cancer, Are You Ready for This?

When Matthew was really suffering during his most recent hospital stay, my mom wrote President Monson a letter telling him of everything Matthew is going through. She asked if he might write Matthew a letter of encouragement because his fight is really hard and his spirits need to be lifted. We weren't sure if he would respond or not, so she didn't tell Matthew about her letter. Well...when we picked up our mail on Sunday afternoon (we forgot to get it on Saturday) there was a letter addressed to Matthew from the church. He opened it and it was signed by the prophet! President Monson had read and responded to my mom's letter in less than two weeks! That says a lot about him. He is probably one of the busiest men on the planet running around teaching the Gospel and running the church, and he took time out of his crazy schedule to help lift one of God's children. 
I don't think Matthew even realizes how much power is being focused on him. He has several missions, stakes, friends, family, President Monson and his first presidency praying for him. People all over the world have him in their thoughts and prayers. It's a really emotional thing for me to think about that, and it gives me great comfort because I know there is no way he can lose this fight with cancer when everyone is standing behind him. I would have never dreamed that my family would have to go through a trial like this. Minor sicknesses, broken bones, financial lows, car accidents..sure. But not cancer for a younger sibling in their childhood. This whole experience is awful, but I know I am a part of the right community to cope with it.

The letter:

1 comment:

  1. I cannot stop crying... It is moments like this that make my journey to this Church, to this station in life worth every arduous step, every long year. Thank you...

    Love, Robin

    ReplyDelete