The purpose of this blog is to keep family and friends updated with the most recent news on Matthew. It will also document his biggest trial to date and serve as a reminder of how many people love and support him, and how much the Lord loves him when he has beat this terrible disease.

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Sick Bones?

Today was another not so great day. The good news is that the doctors had him on really good pain meds, so his pain level was only at a 2. The bad news is that he had to get another bone marrow sample taken. They decided to take another sample because when they looked at his MRI they saw that his bones were abnormal looking. Normal bones are all the same color, but Matthew's weren't. They think the sarcoma may have spread to his marrow. That's still treatable, it just might take longer.

His procedure was at 2:00PM, but my mom didn't tell him that it was going to happen until around 12:30 because he has anxiety attacks if he has time to think about operations. The last time they took marrow samples, when they poked him 4 times, they did the operation twilight. I asked what that means and my mom said that they drug him enough so he won't remember the operation, but not enough so he won't feel the pain. They can't go as deep for a good sample in a twilight operation either because the patient is in too much pain. When I heard that Matthew experienced that it totally broke my heart. I know he doesn't remember, but it still happened and he consciously felt that pain. Today they knocked him completely out though so he would't feel it at all.

T's procedure today took about two hours, and when he went back to his room he was crying again in pain. My mom had the nurses drug him enough that he would sleep for a long time. He started chemo this morning around 1:30, so that means he will finish on Saturday. The doctors wanted to give him another MRI today to check for a tumor on his spine, but my mom won't let them do it until tomorrow. She wants them to knock T out for that because they move him around so much and from table to table that it would kill him. They can't put him under more than once in a day, so he'll get his MRI tomorrow. I guess they didn't check his spine in the last one, and they want to make sure he doesn't have any tumors there. The doctors said that if his counts are up and everything is looking okay, Matthew can come home on Sunday.

This Sunday is fast Sunday, so my mom called Chad's mission president and asked him to have the missionaries fast for T again. The last time Chad's mission fasted with everyone down here Matthew started getting better really fast. We're worried that if he stays in the hospital for too long he will start dropping a lot of weight and get depressed again. He is already depressed because of everything that has happened this week. I just want Sunday to come so that he can get the blessings from the fast.

I'm not exactly sure what is happening here...my dad just emailed it to me today with no explanation. I'm sure it's just my dad being a dork though. This is what happens when it's his turn to sleep at the hospital I guess. haha


1 comment:

  1. breaks my heart that he is in pain.. :*( Will keep praying for healing! Much love to your family!
    delynne bock

    ReplyDelete